Regents to review tuition increase

By Jim Wozniak

SPRINGFIELD—The Board of Regents Thursday approved a motion from NIU student Regent Nick Valadez to re-evaluate the $150 tuition increase in the spring.

Valadez said he would like the Regents to look at tuition and present reasons why it can or cannot be decreased for the 1988-89 academic year. He said he would like Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves to present documentation that would show a decrease in tuition is not possible.

“This topic is not going to be a popular one,” Valadez said before the Regents approved the motion. “I appreciate the fact that the university is in a very tight position. (But) it’s a fact that in September there was a 26 percent increase in tuition, and the burden was pushed from the state to the students.”

Valadez said students have gained nothing from the tuition hike. Program enhancements and faculty salary increases also have been non-existent during this fiscal year, he said.

“The obvious question I have to ask is, ‘What will students get for this?’ We find there is a tendency to forget that students are paying much more and getting the same.

“I have no delusions that general revenue appropriations will rain from the heavens, but I think the board should have a tution re-evaluation on the agenda of the Facility and Finance Committee (in the spring). I think the chancellor can provide ample reason why tuition cannot be (reduced).”

NIU President John LaTourette said Valadez‘ goal might come about through further interaction with the legislature. “The practical way of achieving this objective is what I mentioned before about making the legislature aware of the need for more funds,” he said. “I don’t think we should be just looking internally at the needs (for funds).”

Sangamon State University President Durward Long said, “All three campuses in this system have had an unusual year. Going without an increase (in salaries) creates a strain on education.”

“The board has been very sympathetic toward the students,” he said. “This board has done just about everything it could to help the situation. I think Regent (Milton) McClure’s letter regarding fees has demonstrated the board’s commitment. Yet the cost went up $150.”

McClure, Facility and Finance Committee chairman, sent a letter to board members, Groves and the three Regency system presidents in October about future fees students might have to pay.

Groves said the Illinois Board of Higher Education allowed all universities to recalculate their income funds to establish a new base budget. That included the revenue from the spring tuition hikes and will give NIU a larger base budget. If the IBHE applies a percentage increase, the Regency system might receive additional revenue in the future.

egents Chairman Carol Burns said, “There is some good news, but I would say there is hope for the future.”