Food drive to benefit DeKalb needy

By Nancy Broten and Alan Marcus

A food drive prompting student involvement will take place Monday in the Holmes Student Center to benefit nearly 560 needy individuals in the DeKalb area.

The John Lennon Society is sponsoring the campaign from which donations will go to the DeKalb Area Food Pantry located in the First Methodist Church in DeKalb.

uman and Family Resources Professor Sondra King, who is also the food pantry coordinator, said the pantry serves about 150 families each month. The number of people benefitting from the service has tripled since last August.

King recommends students donate money, if possible, because the pantry is able to purchase bulk food for 10 cents per pound at a local food bank. “They (students) could contribute the cost of an ice cream cone or something like that.”

owever, she said food items such as peanut butter, commonly eaten vegetables, fruit, soup, cake mixes and dried milk are also in need.

King said the pantry serves as an emergency service, allowing needy clients only one bag of groceries each 30 days. She said the supply usually lasts two days.

“The philosophy of the pantry is to make it as hassle-free as possible. I sincerely believe the people who come to us are in need,” King said. The clients are referred to the pantry by social service agencies or by friends.

JLS member John Potwora said food will be collected at the Student Association office on the second floor of the HSC. Potwora said he also is trying to set up a table outside the Blackhawk cafeteria to accept monetary contributions.

“A lot of people find it a hassle to carry canned goods from the dorms or wherever to the Holmes Student Center, so they could give change at the table instead,” he said.

“Last year, the church gave out one bag of groceries per month to 50 needy families in DeKalb. This year, the number of needy families has gone up to 150, so they’ve only been able to give out one bag of groceries every three months to each family,” Potwora said.

JLS member Tom Rainey said he hopes the food drive will improve the group’s image on campus. “All everybody ever talks about is the ‘bad’ things which the JLS does, such as using profanity at the Day of Action.

“However, this is an apolitical event to help the needy and it shouldn’t matter who is sponsoring the event,” Rainey said.

Potwora said, “If the name JLS imposes a wall to people making contributions, then there’s something wrong with this campus.”