Senior wins Daytona trip

By Sheri Forsell

Andy Golletz, a senior economics major, won the Sixth Annual National Collegiate Driving Championship Friday and will compete in a national competition in Daytona, Fla. next year.

The competition, which was sponsored by Dodge, was held Thursday and Friday in the parking lot of Campus Cinemas. The event was planned by Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, who also hosted it last year.

Golletz won by beating the fastest time of 13.903 with a score of 13.560. About 600 hundred students entered the competition.

Golletz won a trip to Daytona where he will compete in the national competition against about 80 semi-finalists from other participating universities, he said.

Dodge furnishes the roundtrip air fare and hotel accommodations for Golletz’s trip. Golletz said the date of the national competition has not yet been set. It will either be sometime in May or will tie in with the Firecracker 400 race taking place in Daytona in July at the Daytona International Speedway.

If Golletz wins the national competition, he will win the use of a new Dodge Daytona Shelby Z for one year and a $5,000 scholarship.

Golletz said all participants were allowed one try at the track. He took his turn and beat the best time just before the race was over with only 10 people left in line.

All students with valid drivers licenses and student IDs were eligible to participate in the race.

Golletz said he also tried the track last year and finished in third or fourth place.

John Cerwin, fund-raising chairman for Pikes fraternity, said the second and third-place winners were Kevin Maher and Don Lupa. Maher’s time score was 13.903 and Lupa’s was 13.926.

The competition was designed to promote safe driving. Literature and videotapes concerning the saftey of seatbelts and the dangers of drinking and driving were available at the event.

The event also was supported by The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Safety Council.