Pledge hazing might result in NIU expulsion

By Christine Boike

If the idea of hazing has crossed the minds of any fraternities or sororities, they should be warned that members of college campus organizations can be suspended or expelled for hazing their pledges.

The NIU Student Judicial Code defines hazing as “any act or activity by an organization or group or by a member of that organization or group in which a member(s) or prospective member(s) may be subjected to an activity which may cause or create a risk to one’s physical or mental health.”

Larry Bolles, director of the University Judicial Office, said, “The consequences for hazing are very stiff. We’re not going to tolerate that this year.” Bolles said students should be aware of the dangers and consequences involved with hazing.

“I have suspended and expelled students for hazing,” he said. Bolles expelled an entire fraternity about eight years ago which violated hazing rules.

There is “nothing wrong with pledging a fraternity or sorority” or other organizations on campus, but “a student should not be subject to hazing,” he said.

There have been problems from different organizations almost every year. The active members in an organization might haze the pledges by severe paddling often leaving the student unable to walk, public ridicule, verbal abuse, physical exhaustion, fear or intimidation.

The NIU Student Judicial Code states, “The University or hazing recipient may charge an individual and/or the officers of a recognized organization with responsibility for the hazing act(s) both on or off campus.”

If a student witnesses hazing or is being hazed, he can report the incident to the University Judicial Office or the faculty advisor of the organization.

e also can report to the Greek adviser if the hazing is Greek-oriented, or to the ombudsman, who handles concerns dealing with any violations on campus.