Springfield views vary on budget

By Jim Wozniak

Facing one of the most volatile pushes for higher education funding in the next two months, three state legislators gave different views about how it will fare.

Sen. Dennis Jacobs, D-Moline, said money might be available, but he said questions about quality education might harm higher education’s chances. Rep. Richard Mulcahey, D-Durand, said he would support an override of the cut to higher education and would sponsor the motion if no one else did. Rep. Richard Mantino, D-Spring Valley, said he doubts the General Assembly will override the cut unless taxes are increased.

Jacobs said education is the No. 1 priority, but he questions whether education is using the money the legislature gives it as wisely as it could. He cited the Chicago public school system, which is undergoing a strike, as an example, saying teachers make about $35,000 a year but many students do not leave with a high-caliber education.

“I believe the governor has not looked at the total picture,” he said. “Pure education is the high priority, but the general concensus is whether we have true education. Get a lot of professors back to teaching instead of writing.”

Jacobs also said the number of teaching assistants teaching classes is too high, lowering educational quality. Students in elementary and secondary education seem to have more problems than universities, he said. Jacobs said universities easily can obtain money through tuition hikes, unlike elementary and secondary education.

Mulcahey said, “I will support some kind of increase. It must be substantial. The governor is holding fast to the cuts. I would think there will be another attempt to find more money for higher education. Then, there are those who feel there is enough money for education.”

Mulcahey said higher education probably is equal to elementary and secondary education in the legislature’s eyes. The possiblity of a tax increase “never dies,” he said.

Mantino said higher education might receive more money if students are willing to give into the legislature in other areas such as Pell and Illinois State Scholarship Commission grants.

“The pot is only so big,” he said. “You can’t always be the recipient. I represent an area that is very devastated, and there is overwhelming opposition to a tax increase. That’s this year. Now something different may occur in April that might change things.”

Mulcahey said the Illinois Student Association’s plans for the Day of Action Oct. 21 only can bring about results if it is preceded with contact with legislative leaders such as Senate President Phil Rock and House Speaker Mike Madigan.

“They can lead up to it, but to march down in Springfield on a Tuesday to say they want something done will not work,” Mulcahey said. “Do it ahead of time so when you do show up, they know who you are.”

Jacobs said he believes the possibility of a tax increase is dead. He said one reason is Gov. James Thompson will not allow the legislature to set the priorities for state funding. He also said if the legislature gives Thompson a $1.6 billion tax hike, higher education still will not be funded as well as it should be.