Until you walk a mile in

another man’s boots …

Boy, some people.

They think they understand things.

And then they offer their opinions without carefully considering what they’re talking about.

What a way to take a stand on something.

For example, there’s a letter to the editor opposite my column today that offers suggestions on how the other editors and I could cut down on the number of mistakes that end up making print in the Star.

The letter suggests the formation of an external panel to “thoroughly read and critique the Star once per month.”

The letter recommends having this panel write down a list of mistakes it finds. These mistakes then could be published daily in a special section of the paper.

The writer of the letter believes the embarrassment of having the mistakes published would eventually curtail the number that get through.

Well, I’ve got news for you. There is no need for such a board. And even if such a board were established, there still would be mistakes in the Star. There are mistakes in every newspaper. It’s unavoidable.

Besides, the other editors and I hold our positions for a purpose: to assist those who work for us—be they reporters, copy readers or production personnel—in doing their jobs. We get paid for that.

So there’s no need to have an outside branch tell us when we’ve erred. We know when mistakes are made. We let the people responsible know, and hopefully, the mistakes will not be made again.

The letter writer should realize what it takes to put this paper out on a daily basis. The operation is, with the exception of an editorial adviser and a business adviser, entirely student-run.

As students, we get hands-on experience doing what we hope to do as a career. And it’s under these circumstances that we have the best opportunity to learn and grow in the field.

Besides, when a mistake is made, we, in most instances, run a correction soon after. This is another way in which the person who made the mistake realizes it.

I guess what irks me about Mr. Minor’s letter is he made these suggestions without considering the work that goes into this paper. For the most part, the people who work at the Star truly care about it. They aren’t here just to goof off and make money. In fact, the pay isn’t that great.

No, most Star employees just want to see each paper come out in the best possible way. So when mistakes are made, there is a certain sorrow that goes alongside.

Perhaps if Mr. Minor and other Star critics were to come here and observe—or better yet, work here themselves, doing the same things our student workers do—they’d discover this thing isn’t as easy as 1-2-3.

They’d realize what the pressure of deadlines means.

They’d realize what it’s like to have a 15-hour class load andbe at the paper from noon until 3 a.m.

They’d realize this paper doesn’t just throw itself together day after day—it takes a massive amount of work for its daily production.

And then maybe they wouldn’t be so quick to second-guess our mistakes.

After all, there are professors who make mistakes while teaching, just as we make mistakes in producing the Star. However, I think these professors realize their mistakes without having them rehashed over and over again.

I guess what I’m saying is, back off. I wouldn’t begin to consider going into Mr. Minor’s classroom with 24 others for the purpose of pointing out his errors. That is for his superiors to do.

So I think I can speak for everyone at the paper when I ask Mr. Minor and others to kindly stick to their jobs. All the awards hanging in Campbell Hall tell me we’re handling ours just fine, thank you.

Oh, by the way, Mr. Minor—it seems you are not immune to making mistakes, either. You see, you misspelled “embarrassed” in your letter. Hope your face isn’t too red.