Unity week to promote awareness

By Moin H. Khan

Unity Through Diversity Week will begin Sunday, kicking off a week-long series of events and a year-long campaign to promote cultural awareness on campus.

A black alumni reception, sponsored by the Black Student Union, will start the day in the Holmes Student Center at 2 p.m., said Gary Henderson, publicity coordinator for the awareness week.

The Music Building will be the site of the black choir concert, which also is sponsored by the BSU. The concert will begin at 3 p.m.

A forum on white racism will be held at the Wesley Foundation at 4:30 p.m. Wesley Foundation Director Dave Schmidt said the discussion will focus on the effects the attitudes of whites have on other cultures.

NIU President John LaTourette will meet with the Student Association at the student center to discuss the SA’s role in providing unity through diversity. The meeting time is 6 p.m.

Lambda Christian Fellowship will host the last event of the day. The organization has planned a seminar on sexual orientation and religion at the student center to begin at 8 p.m.

Events for the awareness week have been scheduled through Oct. 3. Other activities include workshops, exhibits, a dancing and food festival and religious services.

The handicapped and womens groups also have events planned for later in the week.

Special meals will be provided throughout the week by the University Food Service.