Students, city must cooperate

By Paul Wagner

NIU students have a responsibility to work with DeKalb to reach a “mutually acceptable solution” to the problem of damaged streets in north Greek Row, said DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow Wednesday.

The Student Association Mass Transit Board tabled discussion of the proposed restriction of bus service on north Greek Row Wednesday, but Sparrow and transit board Chairman Todd Lipscomb commented afterwards.

The city staff has recommended daytime bus service be eliminated from Ridge Drive, Blackhawk Road and Normal Road north of Hillcrest Drive if funding to repair the streets is not anticipated before 1990, Sparrow said.

The roads need to be reconstructed, Sparrow said, because the streets were built in the late sixties and the city did not anticipate bus service or the increase in car traffic in the area.

Sparrow said the city is considering several ways to pay for repairs, including Build Illinois and other federal and state grants. He said he would not consider reducing manpower to raise revenue. “Over my dead body would we cut manpower,” he said, adding the city is understaffed.

Lipscomb said the board opposes restrictions on bus service in north Greek Row. He said Hillcrest would be crowded with too many students waiting for buses and restrictions would increase significantly parking problems at NIU.

If buses are restricted in north Greek Row, they would still be permitted in the area after 6 p.m., Sparrow said. “The city is concerned about night safety,” he said.

“It’s vital to continue to provide night service, but I think it’s important to provide day service,” Lipscomb said. The board has begun circulating petitions for persons who oppose bus restrictions. “We already have about 250 signatures, and that’s only the beginning,” he said.

Lipscomb said he and SA President Jim Fischer would meet with the mayor to discuss a solution to the problem. “I hope all parties involved can work together for a solution,” Lipscomb said. He criticized city staff for not notifying the SA before looking into a ban of buses from north Greek Row.

The busing situation is not the city’s problem, Sparrow said. “We’re all in this together,” he said, adding he hoped the city, students and residents of the area can “arrive at some agreement.”

Lipscomb announced the Mass Transit Board decided to reduce bus service Easter weekend because of decreased demand. He said buses will stop running Friday at 9 p.m. Buses will run from noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday and resume regular hours Sunday, he said.