Activities arranged for Spring Fest ‘87

By Pam Schmidt

Students will be able to celebrate springtime in DeKalb this week by participating in the activities of Spring Fest ’87.

A Second City touring group will kick off the week by holding an improvisation workshop from noon until 2 p.m. in Martin Luther King Mall. The group will also perform at 9 p.m. at the Holmes Student Center in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Noon hour concerts will be sponsored all week in the mall. Beginning Tuesday, Mr. Meyers, Melvins, Johnny Bounce and the Bad Checks and John Midas are scheduled to perform.

Free hair cuts from Artisans Hair Cutting and a free aerobic workshop will be highlights of Tuesday’s events. Both activities will be held in the HSC. Also Tuesday, a rematch between Western Illinois University and NIU for blood donations will be sponsored from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the HSC.

The activities will begin at 11 a.m. in the mall with a Spring Fest dunking tank sponsored by Pi Sigma Epsilon. Students will have the chance to dunk their favorite teacher, fraternity member or friend.

Students will be able to judge for themselves who has the best legs on campus when the hot legs contest begins Wednesday at 1 p.m. in the mall. The event is sponsored by the American Marketing Association.

After the contest, students can watch those legs in action at the Huskies’ first pass and punt contest. Teams are limited to four people, two women and two men. Final judging will take place during half-time of the spring football game.

Thursday at 1 p.m. in the mall, students can cheer for their favorite NIU football player at a pep rally for the annual red/white scrimmage football game to be played at 6:30 p.m. in Huskie Stadium. NIU Football Coach Jerry Pettibone will speak at the rally. A fashion show also will be held at the same time.

Students can challenge one another in a game of twister scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. in the picnic area by the stadium. Prizes will be awarded.

A Comedy Showcase will be the highlighted event of Friday. John Midas, who performed at last year’s Spring Fest, will entertain students during the noon hour concert. Six other local comedians also will perform from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the mall. The movie “Peggie Sue Got Married” and a mud volleyball tournament, sponsored by Sigma Alpha Mu and O.P.R.A., also are scheduled for Friday.

NIU’s second annual spring concert, Day in the Park, will be featured Saturday beginning at noon at the West Lagoon. Students can listen to various bands including Another Tea Party, Rude Guest, Eddie Clearwater and Ipso Facto.

The week will wind-down with a free sneak preview of the movie, “Creepshow 2,” Saturday at midnight in the Sandburg Auditorium.