Organization gathers for council initiation

The League of United Latin American Citizens is having a gathering at NIU on Saturday, March 7, for the initiation of the new North Central LULAC Council and its president’s installment.

The LULAC chapter, stationed at NIU, serves a wide area roughly bound by Dixon and Rockford, the Fox Valley and Wisconsin State line and will be headed by George Gutierrez, a counselor with NIU’s special services division.

Now in his 18th year at the university, Gutierrez explains, “LULAC is a national civic organization, especially strong in California and Texas.” Its members include 80 percent Mexican-American with the remaining 20 percent comprised of other Latino groups, he said.

Gutierrez said he plans to provide educational services and outreach to youth and citizenship assistance for migrant workers and other Latino immigrants.

Saturday’s meeting, set for 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Heritage Room of NIU’s Holmes Student Center, will feature Leonel Castillo, president of Houston International University, as the main speaker. Among his other roles, he was commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization Service under President Jimmy Carter from 1976 to 1980.

Other guest speakers will include Oscar Moran, the national director of LULAC; Beatrice Pizana, Illinois director of the organization; Elena Guerrero, district director; and Margarita Lujan, founder of LULAC in Illinois.