City might ban Greek Row buses

By Paul Wagner

City of DeKalb officials are considering banning Huskie buses from the northern Greek Row area starting fall semester.

The elimination of buses from Ridge Drive, Blackhawk Road and part of Normal Road is being considered by city officials because of road damage caused by the Huskie buses.

City staff members are expected to make recommendations to the City Council about permanently closing Carroll Avenue and might include a recommendation to ban buses from streets in the northern Greek Row area.

Gary Boden, assistant city manager, said many of the roads in Greek Row were built in the 1960’s for residential use. “The buses are certainly responsible for the damage to those roads,” he said, adding that one bus driving on the roads is the equivalent of 3,600 cars because of “loading and axel weight” pressure.

Boden said any recommendation with regard to north Greek Row would be included in the Carroll Avenue recommendation at the April 13 council meeting.

Student Association President Jim Fischer said he hoped the city staff would consider the “needs of students” in that area for transportation. He said many students moved to the area with the understanding that bus service would be available. “It’s important for students to know the city is seriously discussing this plan,” he said.

The city also agreed to continue negotiations with the SA for Section 18 funding of the buses without discussing the issue of road repair. Boden said Section 18 is a state grant available to cities with a population of 20,000 to 50,000 for mass transit service. NIU would not qualify for the funds without the city sponsoring it, he said.

The Section 18 funding would primarily be used to provide additional service, up to 50 percent, at no cost to students or the community. This would mean the buses could be run year round. Also, the city would purchase the buses. Currently, the buses are leased from the American Transit Corp.

Boden said costs would be reduced if the city bought the buses because the depreciation charged by ATC would be less, although they would still provide maintenance and drivers. If DeKalb bought the buses, ATC would lease them from the city, Boden said.

Todd Lipscomb, chairman of the SA Mass Transit Board, said the main points to be negotiated for Section 18 funding are the makeup of the mass transit board, which would be in charge of publicity for the buses and be responsible for taking care of the details of the grant.

Fischer said he is glad the negotiations will continue. He said he would support Section 18 funding “if we can develop an arrangement that can take into account the need of the student.”