Halls take requests for rooms

By Paul Wagner

NIU’s residence halls will accept applications for rooms next fall beginning March 30.

Jack Felver, associate director of the residence halls, said currently enrolled students are given preference in assigning rooms until April 21. He said after this date, students will have to compete with freshmen and transfers for rooms next fall. He said there have been thousands of applications for housing received from new students.

To apply for a room, students should pick up an application at their current residence hall, Felver said. Off-campus students can obtain an application and a list of floor options at the student housing office located in Neptune Hall, he said.

The application and a deposit of $50 must be taken to the hall to which the student is applying. Although priority is given to on-campus students, Felver said off-campus student requests for housing received before April 21 are almost always accepted. “A few floors will have a problem, but there are usually other floors with the same options,” he said.

Next year’s recommended room and board rates range from $2,296 to $2,416 per year, depending on floor options and meal plans selected. These rates must be approved by the Board of Regents, but will not exceed these figures.

Felver said he expects 3,000 to 4,000 students to sign contracts for next year. Contracts can be signed beginning March 30 by students planning to return to their current rooms next year. Beginning April 2, students returning to their current floor can be signed. On April 6, students changing floors can sign contracts, and beginning April 8 students changing residence halls can sign contracts.

Off-campus students can sign contracts beginning April 13. Contract signings are open to all students April 20 and 21.

Floor options include a choice of 14 or 21 meals per week, which differ in cost by $20 per semester, type of visitation desired, and quiet lifestyle floors. Felver said more information on contracts and floor options is available at Neptune Hall.