IBHE holds drug-abuse conference

By Suzanne Tomse

In order to access and help resolve the problem of illegal drug use on campus, NIU representatives will attend a two-day conference held by the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

Public universities, community colleges and private institutions throughout Illinois are invited to the conference which is being held Feb. 10 at the University of Illinois, Urbana, and Feb. 11 at the College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn.

Illegal drugs and their effects, the technology of drug testing and the legal aspects of controlling drug use will be the three main topics of discussion, said John Huther, IBHE deputy director of policy studies. Additional topics will include the development of drug education programs and rehabilitation programs on college campuses.

Four major presentations will be given, and speakers will be Joseph Flaherty, M.D.; William Judge, G.D.; Douglas Lewis, Ph.D.; Edward Senay, M.D.; Stephen Soboroff, M.D. William Browden, IBHE chairman, will introduce the conference which will begin each day at 9 a.m.

The conference is being held “in response to a senate resolution,” Huther said.”We want to obtain as much information about illegal drugs as possible through the speakers and to make that information available to the campus representatives,” he said.

In addition, the IBHE wants to discuss possible actions that can be taken in addition to what currently is being done by colleges to discourage and prevent illegal drug use, said Huther.

“We will be learning about the issues and problems of illegal drugs as well as strategies for setting up educational programs,” said Jon Dalton, vice president of NIU’s Student Affairs. Dalton will be attending the conference along with NIU representatives Robert Brigham, men’s athletic director; Susie Pembroke-Jones, women’s athletic director; Michael Haines, Health Advancement Services coordinator; and Jim Fischer, Student Association president.