Drug issue requires prime consideration

When tackling a complex problem, it is wise to examine all aspects before deciding what action to take. This method results in the most favorable of solutions.

Drug abuse in this country has become a problem that merits this type of attention. Drugs have become a pervasive element in our society, especially within the high school and college crowds during the past few years.

Drugs have been glamorized. Children are being exposed to drugs through role models such as athletes, which has created the perception that drugs are socially acceptable.

Unfortunately, it took the drug-related deaths of Len Bias and Daryl Rogers—two well-known and respected athletes—for people to realize the tragic effects and scope of drug use in society. Perhaps it took these deaths, however, to prompt investigations into how the problem could be lessened, if not solved entirely.

ere at NIU, a task force has been created to look at the problem. And unlike a past proposal that targeted only athletes, this group is expected to focus on educating and treating everyone.

The group should take its time in coming up with the best solution. Although the University Council hopes to receive a recommendation from the task force by May, the UC should be understanding if the target date is not met. Such a crucial task force should not be rushed into making hasty decisions.

Task force members have said they will focus on educating all college students on the dangers of drug abuse as well as how to provide treatment for drug abusers.

This is a good start, but the members should realize that drug abuse often starts before college—especially at the high school level. The task force also should share its recommendations with the state board of education and work with the board in implementing drug education and abuse programs at high schools and even grammar schools, wherever necessary.

In addition, while there is no reason to single out any one group for help, the task force should try to find who are the most frequent drug users and put additional resources and manpower into helping that group.

Finally, an institution should be created on campus where people seeking counseling could go to receive professional help.

Not every problem has a solution. But with thoughtful consideration and investigation, the severity of the drug problem can be reduced.