Off-campus classes allow students to attain degree

By Suzanne Tomse

Students interested in off-campus classes in Liberal Arts and Sciences can attend one of three open advisory nights at the College of DuPage, Harper College or Rockford Regional Academic Center on Jan. 13, 14 and 15.

NIU advisors from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will describe the Bachelor of General Studies degree program which is offered to off-campus students.

“The program is well-suited to adult students who have previously taken college courses and want to complete a degree,” said Arlene Neher, director of NIU Arts and Sciences Outreach.

The program offers upper level courses in anthropology, communication studies, economics, Spanish, geography, journalism, physics, political science and sociology. Students can take the courses without being in the degree program.

Not enough courses are offered for a student to complete a specific degree in liberal arts and sciences. However, a general education degree can be completed through the off-campus program, Neher said.

“This program can meet many people’s needs,” Neher said. “It makes it easier for students who are taking only one or two courses because they do not need to drive to campus.”

Neher said enrollment in the program is relatively small and class size is usually under 20 students. Many students find that they are able to receive more attention because of the class size.

Tuition for the program is “slightly less” than on-campus tuition, approximately $59 per credit hour, Neher said.

The advisory nights will be from 4:30 p.m to 7 p.m. at each location and refreshments will be served.

Classes begin Jan. 26 and interested students can register by calling 753-0341 between 2 and 6 p.m. Jan. 12-15, 20-22, 26-29 or Feb. 2-5.