State might cut higher ed. budget

By Mike Solley

NIU might have difficulty meeting its instructional and developmental commitments due to anticipated cuts in the fiscal 1988 state budget for higher education.

At a press conference Tuesday, NIU President John LaTourette said he expects Gov. Jim Thompson to cut the budget recommended by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) because funds for higher education are usually in short supply. “It is very likely the budget will be trimmed,” he said.

It was obvious NIU’s budget for fiscal 1987 was very tight, and that there will be some “carry over” commitments to 1988, LaTourette said. “We have to expect some cuts,” he added.

“Ours is not an expansive budget,” LaTourette said. Besides being required to maintain and increase its undergraduate programs, NIU must assist the DeKalb area with economic development and maintain off-campus programs, he said.

A study by the IBHE compared the cost for each student per credit hour at various state universities to the amount of funding each university received, LaTourette said. The study revealed that NIU is underfunded by about 4 percent, he said.

LaTourette said recommendations for funding are based on the difference between operational costs and income from areas such as tuition, fees and housing. If a university has a distinct difference between the two, the IBHE recommends additional or less funding, he said.

For example, Eastern Illinois is underfunded by approximately 7 percent, making it the most underfunded state university, LaTourette said. NIU’s 4 percent deficit did not bring a change in funding recommendations, he said.

LaTourette said NIU might have to resort to things such as enrollment adjustment and other funding to compensate for lost state funds. “We have set a target limit for 3,500 new freshmen, but that figure could be lower with a reduction in funds,” he said.

Last year, as many as 1,650 qualified applicants were turned away to maintain the accessibility and quality of undergraduate programs, LaTourette said. “Maybe 2,000 will be refused this year if the recommended budget does not become a reality,” he said.

LaTourette said tuition, student fees and some off-campus programs are areas where additional funds can be sought.

“We have set a target limit for 3,500 new freshmen, but that figure could be lower with a reduction in funds,”