UC approves condemning resolution

By Tom Omiatek

The University Council Dec. 10 approved a resolution calling for the condemnation of the controversial student publication, Stump, which the Council called “degrading” to minorities.

NIU students Erik Engel, Paul Engel and Philip Craig wrote, paid for, published and distributed the magazine on campus in November. The authors said Stump was intended to be “satirical,” but university officials describe the magazine as “inflammatory,” “repugnant” and “abhorrent.”

The faculty and graduate student body of Adult Continuing Education, who made up the resolution, said the magazine “is directly reflective of patterns of moral degradation of, and of outrageously explicit violence against, blacks, women, and gays.”

The resolution demands that the Board of Regents and President John LaTourette condemn these views and that all NIU resources and regulations be brought against Stump and “this kind of reprehensible behavior on the part of university students.”

University Legal Counsel George Shur said the student publication falls under the First Amendment which protects free speech and free press.

“All we can do on a college campus is to limit the time and place or manner of freedom of speech,” Shur said.

The resolution stated that “the very essence” of a University “articulates much more than merely legal rights.” It also stated that moral degradation and violence against people “directly contradicts the full thrust of both the First Amendment and the tradition of academic freedom.”

Vice President of Student Affairs Jon Dalton said, “Because it (the publication) was offensive to so many people, we will make a public statement expressing our concerns and to address this action directly.” He said, “We will most certainly do what we can to preves during the year, 124 of those deaths being heart related. Another 19 died of cancer.

Of those who died of natural causes, 98 were men and 99 were women. However, the number of men far outweighs the number of women who died from unnatural causes including homicides, accidents and suicides. Twenty-six men died of unnatural causes as opposed to three woman.

There were also 19 accidental deaths in 1986, one more than the total from 1985. Seventeen of those who died in accidents were men, and 15 of those de: :title::cdw:11:09:27:::1::::::: 2.4: 2.4:

David D. Blietz

Dr. Womack

COMS 380

2/0386

Individual Paper