Marriott wants to discuss Roy Rogers

By Pam Schmidt

The Marriott Corporation last week asked NIU to consider discussing the terms of their contract, which might include the closing of Roy Rogers, said William Herrmann, director of Bond Revenue Services.

“The volume of people and the commission they must pay NIU” are contributing factors to their request, Herrmann said.

Although terms and conditions of the contract have not been discussed, a committee has been formed to decide what would be done with the space if Marriott were to leave the Holmes Student Center, said Jim Giles, executive secretary of the University Council.

Three student leaders and four administrators will serve on the committee, which will have its first meeting Tuesday. SA President Jim Fischer said he is working to have more students on the committee. The committee will attempt to focus on the needs and wants of students. Announced forums also will be held by the committee to gain student input, said one committee member.

The Board of Regents last April approved a contract allowing Marriott to lease the former Pow Wow room despite disapproval by the students and the civil service workers. The five-year contract states that Marriott must guarantee NIU $88,000 annually or 11 percent of its gross sales.

Before the Regents approved the contract, Michael Newman, assistant director for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, said in March 1986, “Even if the private contractor intended to do the best they could to maintain the current services, they would be forced to make compromises … in order to survive under the proposed bid specs.”

“The compromises could come in the quality of the food, the employees and the atmosphere,” Newman also said.

Shortly after the switch, students complained about the high prices and the changes in the menu. This led the Student Association to circulate petitions trying to restore the old menu.

The civil service workers also were displeased with the contract because they feared losing their jobs. Steve Miller, a HSC food service employee, said in February, 1986, that contracting “will be the beginning of the end of civil service jobs at NIU.”