Fire displaces students, university offers support

Shattered glass reflects the sun July 2019 in a third floor window at 808 Ridge Drive.

By Noah Thornburgh

At least two students were displaced in fires this week at 808 Ridge Drive and 909 Greenbrier Road, NIU spokesperson Joe King said. One of those students is being provided housing in the NIU residence halls, and the other is seeking other accommodations, he said.

King said NIU’s Housing and Dining Services has filed a motion to house more students displaced by the fires, if any more should request it.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary shelter at the DeKalb Park District Sports and Recreation Center, 1765 S. Fourth St., according to a press release.

A suspected arson Tuesday night on a building owned by Hunter Properties displaced 140 tenants. Police said several injuries were reported to have occurred, and six patients were transported to Kishwaukee Hospital, one with life-threatening injuries. As of 3 p.m., no deaths related to the fires have been reported to the DeKalb County coroner’s office.

At 5:13 a.m. Thursday morning, a second suspected arson occurred in the 900 block of Greenbrier Road, according to a NIU Police safety bulletin. The fire displaced 14 families, according to the American Red Cross’ press release.

The City of DeKalb held a press conference 1 p.m. Wednesday, available on the city’s YouTube channel. The police department is investigating leads and reviewing security footage, Police Chief John Petrogallo said at the conference.