SA provides opportunity to meet 2019 election candidates, event sees zero student turnout

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB — The Student Association provided an opportunity on Wednesday night for students to get to know candidates running for SA elections, but no students outside of the organization attended.

The meet and greet was held atthe Campus Life Building Room 100 where three candidates were in attendance. Candidates included Kevin Schaeffer, Madalynn Mershon and Devohn Hall.

Schaeffer, who currently serves as the director of environmental affairs, is running for the vice president position and said wants to create unity within the SA.

Mershon, who currently serves as the director of academic affairs, is running to become student trustee. 

Mershon said her main goal if elected would be to promote transparency during Board of Trustees meetings and the student body.

Hall, who currently serves as the treasurer of the Black Student Union, said he is hoping to apply the skills he uses in the BSU as the treasurer of SA. He said if elected he wants to focus on funding for student organizations.

On Monday, March 25, candidates will be expected to participate in a head-to-head debate before elections open Tuesday.