Students and faculty commend appointment of Freeman

By Sophia Mullowney

DeKALB — Following Lisa Freeman’s appointment as NIU’s first female president, women across campus shared their perspectives regarding the milestone.

Freeman’s designation made her one of 89 women currently serving as a university president or chancellor in the United States. As of 2016, the number of women presidents has risen to 30 percent, according to Forbes.

Judy Ledgerwood, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said Freeman’s appointment has fulfilled progress Ledgerwood has observed throughout her 23 years at NIU.

“When I first got into administration, there were almost no women leaders on campus,” Ledgerwood said. “It’s really changed over the course of time. It really feels like we’re coming into the 21st century.”

Ledgerwood said she admires NIU’s move to promote women to statured offices, a change beneficial to higher education at large. Other universities with female presidents include the University of Louisville, Pennsylvania College of Technology and Illinois State University.

“Enacting this thing that has not been done almost anywhere else by electing a female president shows we’re willing to go above the status quo and meet our own diversity needs,” Tristan Martin, Speaker of the SA Senate, said.

Ledgerwood said she feels confident in Freeman’s capabilities and track record to serve her appointment moving forward.

“I think [Freeman’s] in a good position as president,” Ledgerwood said. “She knows NIU really well, and she brings an enthusiasm for the institution and the mission of the institution, and I think she conveys it well. In her previous roles she demonstrated that she’s a strong leader so the timing is good for all those reasons.”

Ledgerwood also said she felt additional efforts on behalf of administrators still had be taken to continue advancing women.

Ledgerwood said there is room for improvement in female leadership at a departmental level.

“I think there’s still a lag; there’s more women at the assistant professor level than at the full professor level, but that’s changing as well,” Ledgerwood said.

Students also voiced their perspectives regarding Freeman’s appointment. Points made by students included Freeman’s track record, enthusiasm for NIU and move towards inclusivity.

“[Freeman] is a very personable and nice lady,” senior photography major Briena Myrick said. “I’ve never seen someone so caring about the school they work for. I think this is such a big step towards creating more diversity throughout universities.”

Junior journalism majors Kate McKinsey and Ashley Luoma said Freeman’s appointment is timely given the recent scope of women’s advancement. Both said they feel the volume of high-ranking positions filled by women in higher education has increased since the past decade.

“In this day and age, a lot is changing with women in the workplace,” McKinsey said. “It’s really fitting to the time we’re in, so you can’t really argue with it.”

Luoma said she is happy NIU realized its potential to embrace diversity in collegiate appointments by electing Freeman.

Other students said they felt having a woman as university president could invite new viewpoints for NIU.

“With these big guys in charge, sometimes there are things that go right over their heads,” senior physical therapy major Molly McAffee said. “I think it can bring some fresh perspective the school might not have seen before.”