An Open Letter to Incoming Freshmen

By Maddie Barrett

Dear incoming freshmen,

This is your time. You can finally achieve the goals you’ve always wanted, step outside of your comfort zone and meet new people. You’re going to have so much fun, believe me.

College isn’t all fun and games, though. It takes hard work and determination to succeed. Your classes are different from what you’re used to. Big lecture halls, the temptation to skip classes and the desire to make new friends might get in the way of that 4.0 GPA.

You will get out of college what you put into it. The effort and desire to learn is what makes or breaks college grades. If you want to learn, then complete the homework and work hard. If you want to pass a class, make sure you always attend it.

Speaking of attendance, make sure you go to every class, even that 8 a.m. math course. It’s a huge part of passing a class, and if the professor notices you’re always attending their general education course, then you’re more likely to gain some brownie points in the end.Some professors even grant extra credit points for perfect attendance. Extra credit points are nice when the final test is bearing down on the overtired undergraduate community and the whole class is stressing about their grades.

You’ve got this, don’t worry. Study hard, go to class, do your assignments and make sure to have some fun while you’re at it! Take it from me, the girl who came into college anxious and worried for what was to come; it’ll all work out just fine.

via GIPHY