Huskies stay home for regular season finale

By Jayce Eustice

The Track and Field team hosted the Huskie Classic Friday as it used this rare home opportunity to honor its seniors. The team honored six athletes for their commitment and dedication: sprinters Kedisha Dallas, Deshawn Franks and Ashanti Hutton, distance runner Lorena Martin, jumper Chennel Palmer and thrower Ashley Sicard.

Hutton and Sicard played with confidence and ended their regular season college careers by posting personal bests Friday. Hutton took second in the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.01 seconds and Sicard threw 13.14 meters in the shot put, earning her a second place finish.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry said she is proud of her seniors leadership and ability to help the younger athletes continue to improve.

“Those Seniors represent leadership.” Teaberry said. “As we’ve brought athletes into the program, they’ve been the ones to show them the ropes, keep the confidence up and show them how things are done when coaches aren’t around.”

The Huskies took first and second in the 100-meter dash. Freshman sprinter Khenadi Jones finished first and set a personal record with a time of 11.82 seconds. Freshman sprinter Courtney Sockwell set a personal record as well, netting a second-place finish with a time of 11.85 seconds.

The 400-meter dash ended in similar fashion as the Huskies won first and second when sophomore sprinter Neshay Curtis set a personal record of 57.10 seconds and sophomore sprinter Grace Harris finished second in 58.64 seconds.

Junior jumper Jehvania Whyte won the long jump with an impressive 5.75 meter jump and took third in the triple jump with an 11.81 meter jump.

Sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio won the 400-meter hurdles at 1:03.01 minutes.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry said she was excited for the opportunity to perform in front of a home crowd for the first time in three seasons.

“This gives the athletes and even the staff and opportunity to compete in front of their peers, their family and friends.” Teaberry said. “We had great results today and it have the girls a little boost of confidence.”

The Huskies look to keep playing with confidence with the regular season over as they will perform next weekend in Buffalo, New York for the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championship.