ARTigras displays local art

By Victoria Kosuth

DeKALB — ARTigras, a community celebration of fine arts, will highlight all forms of talent from dance and music to painting and photography, allowing the whole community to contribute.

ARTigras runs May 4 and 5 and has different activities during the day, which are free to the public. There will be art exhibits open to the public on May 4, 5 p.m., 215 Gallery, 215 Fouth Street, DeKalb, and a variety show at 8 p. m. May 4 at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. May 5 is packed with showcases and exhibits, ending the celebrations at 7:30 p.m. with a performance by the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra .

Billie Giese, professor of studio arts, is the committee chairperson for the event and said she is enthusiastic about the collaboration between NIU and DeKalb and helping students and the community express themselves. She believes this is a great way to celebrate members of the community who shine in fields such as dance, theater, art and music, according to the NIU Alumni Association website.

“Integrating the arts into our lives enriches each of us and fosters community,” Giese said. “Not only are art and artists in museums or concert halls— they are all around us.”

Giese said the number of students contributing to the event has grown compared to previous years. There will be a multitude of student groups and individuals who will have their work displayed.

Senior acting major Mehmet Aksoy said he is looking forward to the event and is hoping to learn more about different kinds of art. Aksoy said he believes acting and the other arts being showcased can push forward the perspectives of people that never get to be heard in the world. He said he feels art helps to bring up conflicts students can learn from.

“I hope to have fun and to learn more about art that I am not too familiar with,” Aksoy said.

Brianna Rasmussen, junior business administration major, said she is excited to see the art exhibits that will be featured at ARTigras. She said she has been to galleries in the past and looks forward to seeing what the community can do with their art. She said she believes the event is beneficial to those involved, as well as those who simply attend because there are benefits to both parties.

“I think this event is good for the artists because it’s a great release,” Rasmussen said. “[ARTigras] is also beneficial for attendees because they get exposed to art that they might not get exposed to and interact with people that have the same interests.”