Track team competes in Alabama

By Jayce Eustice

DeKALB — The Track and Field team traveled to the University of Alabama Saturday for the Crimson Tide Invitational. The team battled through tough weather conditions but was still able to show out strong.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry said she saw the difficult weather as a learning opportunity.

“We tried our best, considering the conditions,” Teaberry said. “Just like everything, we can continue to learn from this. Our team being so young, for some it can be hard to keep that competitive mindset and just go out there and compete.”

The top finish for the Huskies belonged to junior jumper Jehvania Whyte, who took home a second-place finish in the triple jump with a distance of 12.38 meters. Senior jumper Chennel Palmer recorded a sixth-place finish in the high jump, jumping 1.65 meters.

The hurdlers were represented with multiple top-10 finishes. Sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio performed over the weekend with a third-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.05 seconds. This was followed by a fifth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles by Amarteifio with a time of 1:02.48 minutes.

Teaberry said she was impressed with Amarteifio’s performance throughout the season.

“Remy is just a little fighter,” Teaberry said. “She took on a new event this year in the 400 hurdles and still hasn’t been able to practice it outdoors yet, but she hasn’t let that stop her. She just wants [to] continue to improve and is never satisfied.”

Sophomore hurdler NeShay Curtis finished right behind Amarteifio with a sixth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles at a time of 1:02.57 minutes.

The Huskies’ distance runners had four top-12 finishes this weekend, two of which came from freshmen. Freshman distance runner Noelle Maire came in fourth place in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:24.92 minutes. Freshman distance runner Nora Finegan placed twelfth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:17.50 minutes.

In the 1500-meter run, the Huskies were able to take home consecutive top 10-finishes. Senior distance runner Lorena Martin ran a time of 4:43.24 minutes and took home seventh place. This was followed by sophomore distance runner Melissa Ricci in eighth-place at a time of 4:43.50 minutes.

The Huskies will resume action Saturday at the University of Illinois as they look to continue building toward the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championship tournament.