Huskies compete at Baylor Invitational

By Jayce Eustice

DeKALB — The track and field team competed Saturday in Waco, Texas, for the Michael Johnson Invite as junior jumper Jehvania Whyte showed out. The All-American won the triple jump and set the school record at 13.42 meters, leaving her ranked No. 6 in the NCAA Division I triple jump standings.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry said Whyte’s accomplishments have meant a lot to the team.

“Jehvania has been great,” Teaberry said. “I hope the rest of the girls take from what she’s been able to accomplishm that hard work and sacrifice does pay off in the end.”

Whyte wasn’t the only Huskie to bring home a first-place finishm as freshman distance runner Noelle Maire won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:19.43 minutes. Teaberry said she was impressed with Maire’s victory as the end of the season approaches.

“Noelle went out there in the steeplechase and led it from start to finish,” Teaberry said. “This means a lot to her. She has really progressed well.”

The Huskies came through with three consecutive top-10 finishes in the 1,500-meter run. Junior distance runner Ericka Hibser was the top huskie finisher with a seventh-place finish and a time of 4:37.29 minutes.

Hibser was followed by sophomore distance runner Melissa Ricci in eighth-place at 4:37.90 minutes and freshman distance runner Mackenzie Callahan in ninth-place at 4:37.95 minutes. All three set personal records for the event.

Sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio continued her impressive season with two top 15 finishes and two personal records. Amarteifio took home 12th in the 100-meter dash at 12 seconds flat. She rounded out her day with a 14th-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles at a time of 13.88 seconds.

Amarteifio wasn’t the only hurdler with a top ten finish. Sophomore hurdler NeShay Curtis placed seventh in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:01.49 minutes, a new personal record.

Senior jumper Chennel Palmer ended up with a third-place tie in the high jump at 1.67 meters.

Senior thrower Ashley Sicard had another impressive meet with a fifth place finish in the shot put with a throw of 12.35 meters. Sicard also took home fifth in the discus throw at 40.50 meters.

Teaberry said Saturday’s meet was a good opportunity to measure up against the competition.

“This meet was a great opportunity for us,” Teaberry said. “Now with only a few weeks until MAC Championships, we have to focus on our execution. Our overall quantity of work will decrease, but our quality will increase.”

The Huskies only have two more meets until the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championships. Their next meet will be Thursday through Saturday when they travel to Des Moines, Iowa for the Drake Relays.