Whyte, Huskies set records in Stanford

Whyte, Huskies set records in Stanford

By Jayce Eustice

DeKALB — Junior jumper Jehvania Whyte returned to action Saturday as the track and field team traveled to Stanford, California, for the Stanford Invitational.

She set a new outdoor triple jump school record with a third place finish, jumping 12.69 meters. The jumper continued to set a new outdoor personal record in the long jump of 5.81 meters where she also finished third.

Whyte returned this week from an injury that sidelined her this past week. Head Coach Connie Teaberry said she takes a relaxed approach with Whyte and tries not to push her too hard.

“There was a little rusty feel with the knee still bothering her a little bit,” Teaberry said. “To give her extra time she didn’t take all of her jumps, but she was able to get a good jump and get on the Mid-American Conference board.”

Whyte wasn’t the only jumper to put on a show as senior jumper Chennel Palmer placed sixth in the high jump with a 1.70-meter jump.

Freshman distance runner Mackenzie Callahan won her heat of the women’s 1,500-meter at the San Francisco Distance Carnival with a time of 4:30.20 minutes.

Freshman sprinter Khenadi Jones led the way for the Huskies in the 100-meter dash with an 11th place finish at a time of 12.19 seconds. Freshman sprinter Courtney Sockwell and sophomore sprinter Remy Amarteifio finished right behind their teammate with 13th and 14th place standings, with times of 12.21 seconds and 12.22 seconds, respectively.

Amarteifio also took 11th in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.14 seconds.

Freshman jumper Kenyae Majors performed well in multiple events with a 12th place finish in the long jump at 5.46 meters and a 15th place finish in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.24 seconds.

Freshman distance runner Ashley Tutt continued her strong season with a 17th place finish in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 34:37.35 minutes.

Teaberry said she was proud of her freshmen’s performances and hinted at greater things to come.

“It’s rewarding for the athletes to see the hard work that they’ve put in is actually paying off.” Teaberry said. “It’s rewarding for the coaches to know that we are moving in the right direction.”

Now two weeks into the outdoor season, Teaberry said the focus for the team will be continuing to grind and to keep getting better.

“We just have to keep our head right,” Teaberry said. “ Keep focusing and grinding, we will just keep doing what we’re doing and making do with what we have.”

The Huskies will resume action with an all day meet Saturday at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.