Softball can’t close out home series

By Khobi Price

DeKALB — The softball team won one game of its three-game series against the Ohio University Bobcats Saturday and Sunday at Mary M. Bell Field.

The Huskies’ (14-22, 5-4 Mid-American Conference) lone win was their first victory against Ohio since May 4, 2014.

Saturday afternoon — Huskies 15, Bobcats 5

NIU was firing on all cylinders offensively in its first game against the Bobcats. The Huskies scored a season-high 15 runs in the contest and tied a season high with most runs in an inning with nine runs in the first.

“I honestly wasn’t expecting that,” said Head Coach Christina Sutcliffe. “Anytime you can score three or four in the first inning, you are doing great things. It kind of kept coming even when we had two outs and tacked on a couple more on a couple of different pitchers.”

NIU opened the scoring for the game when junior outfielder Jenny Van Geertry scored off an RBI single from junior infielder Sam Schmidt in the bottom of the first inning. Senior catcher Bekah Harnish hit an RBI single two at-bats later to increase the Huskies’ lead to two runs. Schmidt scored off a wild pitch to give NIU a 3-0 advantage.

The Huskie lead grew to four runs when Harnish scored off a hit-by-pitch from freshman designated player Katie Wingerter with the bases loaded. Van Geertry smacked a three-run RBI triple with two outs in the inning to give NIU a seven-run lead.

Van Geertry scored her second run of the contest off a wild pitch. The Huskies scored their last run of the inning when junior infielder Dominique Greeno scored off an RBI double by Schmidt to give NIU a 9-0 lead.

The Bobcats responded with five runs in the top of the second inning to bring their deficit down to four. The Huskies extended their lead to five runs when junior outfielder Katie Lamich scored off an RBI single by Schmidt.

Senior infielder Alaynie Woollard smacked a grand slam to give NIU a 14-5 lead. Sophomore designated hitter Kalalaelisa Toomalatai scored off an RBI single by Lamich to give the Huskies a 10-run advantage.

Neither team scored for the remainder of the game, and NIU took home a 15-5 win after five innings of play, leading to a mercy rule victory.

Saturday afternoon — Bobcats 2, Huskies 0

The second game of the series was a defensive back-and-forth. Neither team allowed a hit through the first five innings of the contest.

The Huskies tallied the first and lone hit of the game when Greeno hit a single to the outfield in the bottom of the sixth inning. Freshman pitcher Mackenzie Bryan pitched a no-hitter through the first six innings.

“I wasn’t thinking about anything,” Bryan said. “I guess you could say I was in a groove, but the defense definitely had my back.”

Bryan lost her no-hit bid with one out in the top of the seventh inning off an RBI single by the Bobcats. Ohio scored two runs in the top of the seventh.

NIU didn’t score in the bottom of the seventh inning and lost the game 2-0.

Sunday afternoon – Bobcats 7, Huskies 6

The Huskies lost the final game of the weekend 7-6.

The Bobcats opened the scoring for the game in the top of the first inning with a solo home run. NIU tied the contest 1-1 when Harnish scored off an RBI single by Wingerter in the bottom of the second inning.

Ohio regained its one run lead with a RBI triple in the top of the third inning. Woollard scored off a sacrifice fly by sophomore infielder Anne Allen in the bottom of the fourth inning to tie the game 2-2.

The Huskies took their first lead of the game when junior pinch hitter Abby Howlett hit an RBI triple in the bottom of the fourth inning. Ohio scored three runs in the top of the fifth inning to regain their lead.

Woollard hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning to give NIU a 6-5 lead. The Bobcats scored two runs in the top of the seventh inning to give themselves a one run lead.

The Huskies didn’t score in the bottom of the seventh inning, left one runner on base and lost the final game of the series.

NIU will return to action against the Ball State University Cardinals 1 p.m. Wednesday at Mary M. Bell Field.