SA appoints Supreme Court Justice

SA appoints Supreme Court Justice

SA appoints Supreme Court Justice

By Batul Cutlerywala

DeKALB — A resolution to appoint Sandra Puebla as a Student Association Supreme Court Justice was approved Sunday.

The Justice position became available when Chief Justice Stephen Samuels resigned a week ago. Justice Alonte Holliday served as the interim Chief Justice during that time, but he will now serve as the Chief Justice.

Puebla, whose term will begin immediately, said she wants to ensure the constitution is followed, and holding a justice position is a stepping stone toward law school. She said she believes the Supreme Court should be more involved with the SA and thinks the relationship between the two should be improved.

If there is a conflict of interest, Puebla said she will remain objective and recuse herself from a case and allow the other justices to decide.

SA Speaker Christine Wang said the Supreme Court will have another position open in fall after Justice Katie Harper graduates.

The Student Association Senate postponed the vote to approve the fiscal year 2019 annual budget to its April 29 meeting.

With 20 votes yes, five votes no and two abstentions, the SA decided to postpone the budget vote because there were many concerns raised during the discussion.

“I think that there are some grievances that need to be addressed,” said Senator Cassandra Kamp. “Like potentially why some groups are getting more money than others and some groups are getting misrepresented.”

SA Treasurer Nathan Hays presented the fiscal year 2019 annual budget for student organizations. He said organizations are encouraged to request the maximum amount of money for the budget every year.

Hays said student organizations have to be SA approved for more than two years to be eligible for any kind of funding. He said a maximum of $500 is given to the student organization when recognized for a third year.

He said SA observes how prepared  student organizations are, how much money they have used from the previous budget and how proactive their members are when proposing their budget presentations to the finance committee.

“If [student organizations] do not support SA then they are just there to take our money,” Hays said. “We kind of see that as a lost cause, and the money can be going to someone else.”