Pass/Fail: Renovations to Holmes Student Center ; DeKalb Police Department will combat crime by reducing parking

By Lucas Skye

See what’s a pass and what’s a fail as judged by Perspective
Editor Lucas Skye.

Pass

Renovations to Holmes Student Center will create a student hub

There have been few alterations to the Holmes Student Center since its 1962 opening. Fortunately, this will soon change as renovations to the Holmes Student Center are anticipated to be completed by fall 2019.

Current renovation plans look forward to providing additional food options on campus, such as a new convenience store, a coffee house and an in-house eatery currently being referred to as the Huskie Grill.

Aside from adding more places where students can get food, renovations also include introducing a skylight and modern decor.

Belinda Roller, Division of Administration and Finance intends to make the Holmes Student Center an inviting place where students will want to meet up, much like a living room.

This is a great move, cultivating a welcoming atmosphere will allow the Holmes Student Center to become the centralized student hub it was meant to be.

Fail

DeKalb PD thinks tickets and less parking will deter criminals

DeKalb Police Department will naïvely try to combat crime and bank accounts with their push to issue more parking tickets and reduce non-residential parking.

This measure is a part of DeKalb Police Department’s Safe Street Initiative to create safer communities in areas that experience higher percentages of crime. The idea is that criminals from outside of DeKalb are less likely to come to DeKalb and commit crimes if they can’t find public parking.

“If we limit the parking they won’t just be able to leave their cars in those spots.” Said Steve Lekkas, patrol division commander of the DeKalb Police Department. “They can be immediately towed,” This will surely be strong blow against criminals who decide where they’ll strike next based upon where the free parking is.

Sarcasm aside the proposal is far too harsh, especially when considering DeKalb is a college town, filled with students who may not be aware of which spots in DeKalb they’re able to park in.

The measure allows the DeKalb Police Department to make expensive towing their first option when dealing with offenders, even if it was an honest mistake. Opposed to the typical anger-inducing ticket.

Overall the idea of using parking to deter crime is amusing, however, in reality, it seems to be merely an novel concept. When a criminal has already planned to break the law it hard to believe a parking violation will stop deter them. Students that aren’t familiar with DeKalb’s free parking zones will be the ones who suffer most.