Men’s tennis defeats Binghamton

By Zac Camacho

DeKALB — The men’s tennis team improved its Mid-American Conference record to 4-1 Sunday with a 4-3 win over Binghamton University in Binhamton, New York.

Despite the win, the Huskies’ (14-6, 4-1 MAC) double play continued to struggle as the team lost its fourth consecutive doubles point and fifth of its last six matches.

“This place is so tough to play at,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher, according to NIU Media Services. “It’s never easy, and Binghamton plays so hard, we knew it would be a dog fight. We gave away doubles again, and if we think we’re going to be a championship-caliber team, we have to fix that.”

Senior Georg Lundkvist and sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar dropped the first doubles point in a tiebreaker match at the No. 1, ending 7-6 in favor of sophomores Kushaan Nath and Tiago Lourenco.

NIU won at the No. 2 thanks to senior Eric Marbach and redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega, who took down freshman Alejandro Pena and junior Inigo Saez 7-5.

The Bearcats claimed the doubles point at the No. 3.

Seniors Louis-Philippe Hamel and Tom Hjertonsson fell 7-6 in another tiebreaker match to juniors Ludovico Cestarollo and Valentin Bouchet.

After losing their fifth doubles point in the last six matches, the Huskies bounced back in the singles matches in a comeback victory.

Lundkvist finished first at the No. 4 , beating Sebastian Quiros 6-4, 6-2 and tying the match at 1-1. Binghamton quickly regained the lead when Nath defeated Marbach at the No. 2 6-4, 6-4.

The Huskies tied the match once again after Hamel earned a 6-3, 7-6 victory over Lourenco at the No. 3.

Ortega lost in three sets at the No. 1 to Cestarollo 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 after being named MAC player of the week for the second time this year.

The loss at the No. 1 put the Huskies down one leaving two matches left to complete the comeback win. Muzar defeated Siez 7-5, 6-1 at the No. 5 as he tied the match for the third time.

Freshman Victor Spolidorio rose to the challenge as he took down Pena 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 6 to complete the comeback.

The Huskies resurgence marked their second series sweep of the season.

NIU faces off against Toledo University 1 p.m. Friday in Dekalb at the Chick Evans Field House.