Tennis goes 1-1 over weekend

Redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega hits the ball in the Huskies’  7-0 home win Jan. 26 against St. Louis. The Huskies are 7-3 this season.

By Zac Camacho

DeKALB — The men’s tennis team split a pair of matches Saturday and Sunday, bringing its overall record to 7-3.

The Huskies beat the University of Wisconsin–Green Bay (5-2) Saturday at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium in Milwaukee but were dealt a tough loss Sunday against the Golden Eagles of Marquette University.

“We need to play with more energy and enthusiasm,” said Head Coach Fisher. “That hurt us in the doubles against Green Bay.”

Saturday — Green Bay

The Huskies came out slow, losing at the No. 2 and No. 3 in doubles.

Senior Georg Lundkvist and sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar were handed their second loss of the season together by juniors Felix Triebe and Charlie Ridout of Green Bay 6-4.

After three straight wins to start the season, seniors Tom Hjertonsson and Louis-Philippe Hamel lost their last two doubles matches together. The pair fell to juniors Miles McDowall and Charlie Croxford 6-1.

Despite a loss from redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega at the No. 2, NIU won the rest of their singles matches.

Redshirt senior Eric Marbach earned his fifth win of the year, beating senior Florian Kraenzler 6-3, 7-5. Oretga suffered his third loss of the year 6-4, 6-2 to James Ling.

Lundkvist defeated Croxford 7-6, 6-4 at the No. 3, and Muzar took his fourth win against Miles McDowall 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 4.

Hjertonsson and Hamel both improved their singles record to 5-1 on the season. Hjertonsson outlasted sophomore Ivan Radomirovic 7-5, 6-3 at the No. 5, and Hamel cruised past junior Tony Leto at the No. 6.

Sunday — Marquette University

NIU continued to struggle in doubles in its match against the Golden Eagles.

Muzar and Lundkvist lost 6-4 at the No. 1 to junior Alvaro Verdu and sophomore Brett Meyers.

Hjertonsson and Hamel ended their two-game skid and beat junior Greg Anderson and freshman Luis Heredia Gomez 6-1 at the No. 2.

An unexpected back injury for Marbach put junior Erich Schuette into the match at No. 3 with Ortega, but they fell to Marquette’s senior Scott Christian and sophomore Luke Smrek 6-3, awarding the Golden Eagles the doubles point.

“What happened today was such an odd thing,” Fisher said. “We had to scramble and deal that, and I don’t think we handled it the best that we should have, and that hurt us.”

It didn’t get any easier for the Huskies in the singles matches.

Muzar lost 6-1, 6-3 against Gomez at the No. 3. Hamel lost at the No. 4 in singles for the second time this year 6-0, 6-1 to Greg Anderson.

Marquette finished off NIU with match-clinching wins at the No. 4 and No. 5. Hjertonsson also suffered his second singles loss of the season when he lost 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 5.

Eagles’ Brandon Shanklin completed the sweep at the No. 6, handing Schuette his third loss of the year and giving the Huskies their third loss of the season.

“We’re a resilient bunch. We’ve got a good bunch of guys, and we have to step up and fill the gaps,” Fisher said.

NIU will continue its season with a match against Indiana University-Purdue 9 a.m. Sunday at the Boylan Tennis Courts in Rockford.