Reception held to commend responders to 2008 shooting

By Michael Urbanec

DeKALB — Five students had their lives cut short because of a heinous act of violence Feb. 14, 2008; a week of events have been dedicated to the remembrance of their lives.

The Holmes Student Center hosted a reception honoring the first responders, public safety staff, medical personnel, community members, faculty and staff who were involved at the scene of the crime and involved in the healing of the community.

“The ‘Forward, Together Forward’ legacy was still very strong when I arrived here in 2010,” said acting President Lisa Freeman. “Our community responded to 2/14 with courage and compassion.”

The Holmes Student Center Gallery Lounge opened the Forward, Together: Remembering exhibit Feb. 5. The exhibit currently features five banners, one for each of the fallen students. The rest of the room has photos from the day of the shooting and pieces of art commemorating the lives lost. Artwork sent from other universities and institutions out of sorrow are on display in a glass case in the center of the room until Feb. 14.

The lobby of the Holmes Student Center was filled Friday evening with police officers, firefighters, nurses, EMTs and counselors who provided their services the day of the crime.

Todd Stoffa, DeKalb Fire Department fire captain, a line firefighter at the time of the shooting, said he remembers every sight, sound and smell of that day. He was a part of the first company that entered Cole Hall.

“It makes us all aware that nobody is immune to violence, evil and terrorism,” Stoffa said.

Stoffa’s wife, Molly Stoffa, worked as an emergency room nurse at Kishwaukee Community Hospital at the time of the shooting.

“I could tell you my patients’ name, birthdate. I could tell you everything that was wrong with them. The amount of controlled chaos in the emergency department,” Molly said.

A massive effort to provide support to students brought Bob Hansen, then Dixon pastor and current interim pastor at Grace Place Campus Ministry, 401 Normal Road, to the area to provide counseling to the grieving.

“I can remember a student who was so overwhelmed by grief, she could not talk,” Hansen said. “Her tears were a necessary part of her grief reaction. After awhile, she was able to get her composure and talk about how frightening it is that a peaceful community like DeKalb could have an incident like this.”

A candlelight vigil was held after the reception in the Duke Ellington Ballroom in honor of the victims, where attendees reflected on the changes the DeKalb community has seen in the years since the shooting.

“There’s a sense of caring about humanity,” Hansen said. “An outreach to one and all.”

The upcoming week features a series of events created to honor the lives of the victims, including a tribute concert at Boutell Memorial Concert Hall. On Wednesday, there will be a gathering at Cole Hall to lay wreaths at the Peaceful Reflection Garden.

“It affected all of us,” Molly said. “This is our home.”