Wrestling gets shutout in loss

By Rick Green

DeKalb — The wrestling team was shut out for the first time in a dual since 2014 when the University of Missouri defeated the Huskies 31-0. The Huskies fell to the Binghamton Bearcats 35-0 Friday.

The Huskies did not get going against the Bearcats and couldn’t get on top of the close matches, losing four matches by less than two points.

“We have to strike first and often, [and] we need to fight for superior opportunities and create scoring opportunities,” said Head Coach Ryan Ludwig.

Sophomore Brock Hudkins lead the pack, wrestling at 125 pounds. Hudkins fell to Joe Nelson of the Bearcats by decision 3-1. This was Hudkins’ first matchup since the Huskies faced the North Dakota State Bisons Jan. 28. Hudkins is 12-8 on the season.

Wrestling at 133 pounds, redshirt junior Alijah Jeffery fell to Jacob Nicholson by decision 4-1, putting the Huskies down 6-0 in the match. Jeffery’s record sits at 14-12, and he is 5-5 in duals this season.

Joseph Russ of Binghamton faced sophomore Anthony Rubino and defeated him by majority decision 11-2.

Freshman Nolan Baker looked to pick up his first win of the year against Frank Garcia of Binghamton. However, Garcia defeated Baker by majority decision 13-1.

Wrestling at 157 pounds, redshirt sophomore Caden McWhirter looked to turn things around for the Huskies. Tristan Rifanburg defeated him by decision 4-2.

Redshirt junior Andrew Scott scored the most points by the Huskies with nine. Unfortunately, Scott fell by decision 16-9.

Anthony Lombardo of Binghamton University faced redshirt junior Quinton Rosser. Lombardo defeated Rosser by decision 10-4, dropping his record to 10-14 this season.

“We need to fight hard and get back to aggressive wrestling,” Ludwig said.

The Huskies will look to end their five-game losing streak 12 p.m. Sunday as they head to Buffalo, New York, to face a Mid-American Conference rival, the University at Buffalo Bulls.