Men’s tennis splits weekend in Ohio

By Zac Camacho

DeKALB — The men’s tennis team went 1-1 Saturday and Sunday against Xavier University and Wright State University.

The Huskies lost Saturday to Xavier 6-1 and claimed their first road win Sunday 5-2, despite Head Coach Patrick Fisher saying the team showcased a lack of energy.

“That’s what we did all weekend,” Fisher said. “Even though we won [Sunday], the matches that were tight, we played passive.”

Saturday — Xavier University

The Huskies struggled in every aspect in their loss to Xavier.

They started the match dropping the doubles point. Sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar and senior Georg Lundkvist lost 6-4 at the No. 1 to junior Jack Dykema and senior Gabriel Araujo.

With a 6-3 loss at the No. 3, red-shirt freshman Kristopher Ortega and junior Erich Schuette forfeited NIU’s double point to a pair of freshmen Brett Winters and Alejandro Rodriguez-Vidal.

Seniors Louis-Philippe Hamel and Tom Hjertonsson went unfinished at the No. 2 against sophomore Matthew Graft and senior Connor LaFavre.

The Huskies’ struggles continued in the singles matches.

Ortega put up a fight against Dykema at the No. 1 but fell to him in three sets 7-6, 4-6, 11-9.

Lundkvist also lost at the No. 2 to Winters 7-6, 6-3. In the Huskies’ only victory in the day, Hamel defeated freshman Jan Vrba at the No. 3 6-4, 6-4.

Both Muzar and Hjertonsson made their opponents work for their win. Muzar fell to Araujo 6-4, 1-6, 6-4, while Hjertonsson lost to Rodriguez-Vidal 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.

Graft finished off Schuette at the No. 6, 6-3, clinching the match for Xavier.

Sunday — Wright State University

The Huskies continue to follow rough losses with strong bounce back wins. NIU improved to 9-4 this year in a 5-2 win over Wright State.

Muzar and Lundkvist defeated seniors Michal Kianicka and Fernando Nardelli 6-1 at the No. 1 to begin doubles play.

Shortly after, Ortega and Schuette sealed the doubles point in a 6-4 win over sophomore Javier Alvarez de la Villa and junior Donovan Cellupica-Towers.

Hamel and Hjertonsson went unfinished once again at the No. 2 to sophomore Param Pun and senior Marcel Ueltzhoeffer.

In singles, Ortega kept the momentum moving with a 7-5, 6-0 win at the No. 1 to Kianicka. The Raiders were able to climb back into the match with two important wins.

At No. 3, Nardellie got the best of Lundkvist at the No. 2, 6-4, 5-7, 11-9, and Hamel wasn’t able to overcome Pun 4-6, 6-1, 10-8.

Regardless of the two losses, the Huskies proved to overmatch the Raiders. Muzar took down Ueltzhoeffer 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 4 and Hjertonsson shutout Alvarez de la Villa at the No. 5. At the No. 6, Schuette beat freshman William Morton 6-2, 6-2 for his first win of the year, securing the Huskies’ ninth win of the season.

“We’ll just try and improve, and one of the things we’re really going to have to focus on this week is playing more aggressive,” Fisher said.

The Huskies will be back on the road, as they take on Creighton University 12 p.m. Friday at the Hanscom Tennis Courts in Omaha, Nebraska.