Men’s tennis takes win against Jaguars

By Zac Camacho

DeKALB — After a shutout loss Feb. 11 at Marquette, the men’s tennis team redeemed itself in a 6-1 victory over Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Sunday at the Boylan Tennis Center in Rockford.

“Our senior leadership stepped up and led the way with great intensity [and] great energy,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “[It was] probably one of our more complete matches.”

Seniors Georg Lundkvist, Louis-Philippe Hamel and Tom Hjertonsson were key contributors in the win and helped the Huskies earn the doubles point and were each able to secure a singles win.

Lundkvist and sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar captured their seventh win together at the No. 1 against IUPUI’s senior Bradley Luetschwager and junior Grant Weaver 6-3.

Hamel and Hjertonsson sealed the doubles point 6-3 at the No. 2 versus freshmen Ethan Mardanus-Budiono and senior Jac Newis.

Redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega continued his strong season, defeating Newis 6-2, 6-0 for his first win at the No. 1 while Lundkvist locked up his sixth win, taking down freshman Sean Bailey at the No. 2 6-0, 6-1.

Hamel’s match at the No. 3 was kept close by senior David Beasley winning the second set, but Hamel prevailed 6-3, 6-7, 10-7, improving his record to 6-3 this season.

At the No. 4, Muzar beat freshmen Eric Hollingsworth in two games 7-6, 6-2 for his fifth win of the year.

Hjertonsson also earned his sixth win, defeating Luetschwager at the No. 5 in two games 7-6, 6-3.

Junior Erich Schuttee was the lone Huskie to lose in singles Sunday, falling to Budiono at the No. 6 7-5, 6-2.

Schuttee also lost the No. 3 doubles with Ortega 6-3 to Beasley and Junior Grant Esposito.

The Huskies improved their record to 8-3 after a disappointing loss to Marquette University where both senior Erich Marbach and Victor Spolidorio suffered back injuries.

“Considering what we’ve had to deal with the last couple of weeks with guys getting injured, I couldn’t be more happy,” Fisher said.

Fisher said plans on the return of Marbach and Spolidorio by the time conference play opens up against Binghamton University March 16.

The Huskies hope to continue their strong season against the winless Xavier University Musketeers 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the Eastern Hills Indoor Tennis Club in Cincinnati. That match will be followed by a match against Wright State University 10 a.m. Sunday at the South Regency Tennis and Fitness Center.