Baller Breakdown: Riley Blackwell

Freshman forward Riley Blackwell dribbles past her defender in the Huskies’ 76-52 home win Nov. 29 against Bradley. Blackwell was one of three freshmen added to the roster this season.  

By Ryan Ostry

Name: Riley Blackwell

Hometown: Plainfield, Indiana

When you started playing basketball: 8 years old

Favorite sports team: Indiana Pacers

Athlete idol/role model: Nobody to name

Court strengths: Posting Up

“I think I move pretty well,” Blackwell said. “I usually can get up and down the court easily and play out on the wing where I can shoot threes.”

Court weaknesses: Body Strength

“I’m small for a post,” Blackwell said. “I need to gain weight and get stronger so I don’t get pushed around so easily.”

Favorite teammate: Gabby Nikitinaite

“We both live in the dorm in a cluster area together, and I’m the only freshman with a car, and we always ride together,” Blackwell said.

Interesting fact: Family bought six cats, well aware I don’t like them.

“I’m not a cat person at all,” Blackwell said. “I’m a huge dog person, and when the cats got here I completely ignored them.”

Why you enjoy playing for NIU: The people

“When I was going through recruiting, I talked to my childhood coaches [and received] a lot of advice,” Blackwell said. “They basically said the people and team are the most important because that’s where you will [be] spending all your time, and I could tell this team was very close.”

Though the freshman will add size, she will be put in a role the Huskies don’t have a lot of depth in currently, with senior forward Kelly Smith and redshirt sophomore forward Ally May being the team’s only taller players.

The 6-foot-1-inch forward has averaged 1.2 points per game, one rebound per game and is currently shooting 57 percent from the free throw line.

With injuries to sophomore guards Janae Poisson and Myia Starks, Blackwell will be used much more.

Head Coach Lisa Carlsen speaks highly about Blackwell and said she feels she adds another dimension the team lacked in 2016-17.

“[Blackwell] is long and versatile because she plays the four position for us, but she can also step out and hit the three,” Carlsen said. “She also adds length, which is much needed at that position for this team.”

With the team losing two primary players, look for Blackwell’s minutes and production to increase in her role off the bench.

Blackwell and the Huskies will resume their season at home 1 p.m. Saturday against Eastern Michigan at the Convocation Center.