Donors contribute to NIU athletics campaign

By Ryan Ostry

The Northern Illinois student-athletes received generous donations from alumni, fans, coaches and staff totaling $115,246.

“Huskies invest is about supporting the most fundamental and important part of our athletic department and that is the student-athletes,” Director of NIU athletics Sean T. Frazier said.

The yearly support for student-athletes helps raise and grow awareness for the players to make them more successful on and off the field.

“We want to spend a week shining a spotlight on our student-athletes across every program, and ask members of Huskie Nation to help us grow, help us advance, and help us continue the proud tradition of NIU Athletics by giving to the Campaign and to the Huskie Athletic Fund during the week.”

In the week of supporting the NIU foundation, donors, coaches and student-athletes were featured in a series of social media videos where fans were able to check how the donations superseded the beginning goal of $100,000.

The donations supported a wide range of efforts outlined in the campaign to sustain cost attendance, support two different projects relating to the athletes, building a nutrition center and a new video and team meeting in the Convocation Center.

“We have an unbelievable tradition here with NIU Athletics,” Frazier said. “This campaign is absolutely critical to our ability to sustain and continue to build that tradition with the many challenges we face both on that state and national levels.”

With the 175 total gifts and the campaign continuing, NIU faculty and staff highly encourages further participation in order for the 400 plus Huskie students to reach their full athletic and educational potential.

To learn more about the campaign, additional opportunities and ways to support NIU Athletics, go to NIUSustain.com or call the Huskie Athletic fund at 815-753-1923.