DeKalb Police talk ‘zero tolerance’ for violence in community

By Morgan Fink

DeKALB — Members of the community voiced concerns regarding recent violent crimes during a safety meeting hosted by law enforcement and discussed suggestions to make the city safer with DeKalb officials.

The DeKalb Police Department hosted the Violent Crime Community Outreach meeting Monday at the DeKalb Police Department, 700 W Lincoln Highway, in the Community Room. DeKalb Police Chief Gene Lowery addressed those who attended about the recent gun violence and ways police officials would like to handle it going forward.

Student safety was also brought up during the meeting. Lowery pointed to data from 2017 that indicated weapon offenses increased in the fall and spring when students are most present in DeKalb. There have been 52 weapon offenses this year — a 22 percent increase from last year.

“I have zero tolerance for violence and zero tolerance for violence with weapons,” Lowery said. “Myself and this police department will do whatever we can, whenever we can, to do the right thing.”

One of the key law enforcement initiatives in cracking down on crime is the installation of video surveillance cameras in the areas where gun violence has occurred the most and outside local businesses and apartment complexes.

Lowery said if property owners installed surveillance cameras, police department officials will be able to access the video feed with the owner’s’ permission.

Apartment complex owners have been reportedly turning off security systems, something for which they can receive citations from DeKalb Police Department to appear in court, Lowery said.

“I was shocked and disturbed that we have these apartment complexes that have turned off security systems,” Mayor Jerry Smith said during the meeting.

Smith, City Manager Anne Marie Guara and Community Development Director Jo Ellen Charlton were also in attendance to speak about the violence.

“It’s become clear to me that our town is dramatically different than it was 10 or 20 years ago,” Smith said. “It’s also very clear that the increase in violent crime, especially that involving the recent shootings, call for action. The criminal element is not welcomed in DeKalb, and we will simply not tolerate any behavior that places our residents at risk.”

After city officials spoke, residents like senior history major Megan Riordon were able to ask questions regarding safety concerns.

Riordon was one of the few students who attended the meeting. She is a resident at University Plaza, 900 Crane Drive, located close to some of the recent gun-related incidents.

“I’m angry,” Riordon said. “I don’t know what has happened over the last year because it’s just completely changed the environment around school and the apartment complexes that are mainly dominated by students. It angers me that this is happening.”

Guara said the city will be working with NIU in the future to identify areas of mutual concern and come up with ways to work together toward a shared goal of building a safe and healthy community.

“We have been in contact with officials at NIU about the recent increase in violent crimes,” Guara said. “We share their concerns about not just student safety, but the safety of everyone in that area.”

The need for members of the community to report any information regarding incidents is also important, Lowery said. Any tips can be reported to the police station or texted to Alert DeKalb, a program set up by DeKalb Police Department. It is a free service that allows residents to receive alerts and also report suspicious activity.

“Every one of you are vital to these efforts,” Lowery said.. “We need information about gang activity. Don’t be bashful; from the time you hear a gunshot, in the minutes it takes you to debate whether or not to call, we have lost the opportunity to respond.”