Huskies conclude play at Lindenwood Open

By Rick Green

DeKALB — Three Huskies finished in the top three of their respective weight classes Saturday when the team traveled to Saint Charles, Missouri for its third match of the season at the Lindenwood Open.

“We will train hard next week and sharpen the little things to prepare for our next match,” Head Coach Ryan Ludwig said. “We wrestled hard and saw some good things.”

In the freshman and sophomore black division 141-pound open, freshman Breyden Bailey placed first and earned 19 team points. Bailey defeated Kurt Kaiser of the Missouri Valley College Vikings by fall and Bryce Sheffer of the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Cougars by decision, advancing to the semifinal. Bailey faced Alema Favors of the Cumberland University Phoenix by decision, proceeding to the championship match against Danny Murphy of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes.

“Bailey came out really aggressive this weekend,” Ludwig said.

Ludwig said the team is showing signs of improvement but have some intangible qualities that are lacking.

“We need to commit further to gritty situations and imposing our will on our opponents,” Ludwig said. “It’s a long season, and we are making progress. Our plan is to get better every week.”

Freshman Brit Wilson continued a strong start to the season, finishing second in the freshman and sophomore division 174-pound open.

Wilson defeated Corban Watson of the Hannibal-LaGrange University Trojans by fall and Jacob Mintzmyer of the Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Golden Norseman by tech fall. Wilson lost against Marcus Coleman of the Iowa State University Cyclones by decision.

Wilson is 11-1 this season in his first year.

Sophomore Brock Hudkins placed third and scored 13.50 points in the 125-pound open gold division defeating Elijah Hale of the Oklahoma State University Cowboys by decision and Jonathan Marmolejo of the Cyclones. Hudkins lost to Barlow McGhee of the University of Missouri Tigers by decision. Hudkins took third place over major decision.

Ludwig appreciates the fact the Huskies have different players being successful every week.

“I will be impressed when we all fire at our best on the same weekend consecutively,” Ludwig said.

The Huskies will have an extended break for Thanksgiving, as Ludwig said he hopes the team will stay focused over the holiday break, along with resting their bodies.

The Huskies will be back in action 9 a.m. Saturday as they head to Bloomington, Indiana for the Indiana Duals.