Ten NIU Women’s Soccer Student-Athletes Earn Spots On The Academic All-MAC Team

Thinkstock. 

Thinkstock. 

By Ryan Ostry

Ten NIU women’s soccer student-athletes were named to the Academic All-MAC Team the Mid-American Conference announced on Thursday.

To be eligible for the Academic All-MAC Team a non-freshman student-athlete had to have a GPA at 3.2 or higher and have played in at least half of the games for their team this season.

The ten Huskies that earned top spots on the 2017 Academic All-MAC roster were as follows:

Amy Annala, NIU, Senior, 4.0, Accountancy

Natalie Yass, NIU, Sophomore, 4.0, Biological Sciences

Delaney Loprieno, NIU, Junior, 3.942, General Public Health

Kelsey Chope, NIU, Sophomore, 3.893, Business Administration

Abby Gregg, NIU, Sophomore, 3.839, Business Administration

Grace Louis, NIU, Sophomore, 3.834, Biological Sciences

Sammy O’Brien, NIU, Senior, 3.525, Kinesiology

Lauren Gierman, NIU, Junior, 3.432, Marketing

Jennie Nailor, NIU, Sophomore, 3.4, Pre-Physical Therapy

Emilie Furuseth Haugan, NIU, Junior, 3.284, Business Administration

Senior goalkeeper Amy Annala (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) and sophomore midfielder/forward Natalie Yass (Waukesha, Wis./Waukesha West) were two of 17 student athletes in the MAC to qualify with a GPA of 4.0.

Annala earned her spot for the third consecutive year for NIU, in which every year she was eligible for the notoriety and Yass claimed her second academic recognition this post-season after being named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District 5 Second Team.

Redshirt junior midfielder/defender Delaney Loprieno (Algonquin, Ill./Huntley) joins Annala as the only two Huskies to make the Academic All-MAC team for three consecutive seasons.

Sammy O’Brien (Aurora, Ill./West Aurora), Lauren Gierman (Prospect Heights, Ill./John Hersey) and Emilie Furuseth Haugan all earned the honor for the second times in their respective careers.

Along with Yass, sophomores Kelsey Chope (San Jose, Calif./Leland), Abby Gregg (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East), Grace Louis (Cincinnati, Ohio/Sycamore) and Jennie Nailor (Hoffman Estates, Ill./Hoffman Estates) all made the Academic All-MAC Team for the first time on the first year they were eligible.

This is the third-straight season NIU women’s soccer has had double-digit members on the Academic All-MAC Team after having 14 in 2015 and and 12 in 2016 with other members of the team having an eligible GPA in 2017 but injuries kept them off the field.