Sigma Kappa to host BBQ

Sigma Kappa hosts their all-you-can-eat Kiss the Cook event every year to raise money for the Alzheimer’s Association in a way that allows students to get to know the members of the sorority.

By Victoria Lunacek

The Panhellenic Association Sigma Kappa will host their annual Ultra Violet Week, a week of fundraisers dedicated to their national philanthropy that will run Oct. 9 through 13. The Sigma Kappa Foundation, the organization’s philanthropy, supports Inherit the Earth, Maine Seacoast Mission, Gerontology, Alzheimer’s Association and Sigma Kappa sororities nationwide. One of their most popular events is Kiss the Cook, which will be held from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Oct. 12 at 928 W. Hillcrest Drive.

Amanda Surrusco, sophomore early childhood major and Vice President of Philanthropic Service, has been planning Ultra Violet week since early summer and said her favorite event is Kiss the Cook. The event is an all-you-can eat BBQ for $5 and Surrusco said this year there are a few new activities planned.

“I am really excited about karaoke and think it will be a really fun experience,” Surrusco said. “We are going to have [bean] bags and different yard games along with a huge backyard barbeque theme.”

Janie Wilson, junior early childhood education major and Sigma Kappa member, said all-you-can-eat food is a great reason to attend and so is supporting a great cause. The proceeds will support the Alzheimer’s Association, a branch off the Sigma Kappa Foundation.

“We have been advertising on all our flyers where the proceeds go and people know each year that they are supporting [Alzheimer’s Association] it,” Wilson said. “When they come each year, they are excited to support it. People come for good food and a great cause.”

Surrusco said she has set a goal to raise $1,000, which she believes is attainable. Their past philanthropy events have surpassed their expectations and goals, and she said she hopes this year will be the same.

“I feel that is a fair goal considering we raised around $4,000 during our color run last spring and almost $2,000 for our annual Alzheimer’s Walk,” Surrusco said. “Greek life has always supported each other, and I hope we will see that support during the week and at Kiss the Cook.”

Surrusco is not the only member excited about the event as junior nursing major Ria Sangsomwong said she feels it’s not the average philanthropy event. She said compared to most other Greek events, Kiss the Cook is more relaxing.

“You actually get to see everybody and meet the people that put Kiss the Cook together,” Sangsomwong said. “A lot of the other philanthropy events have competitions or sporting events, but this one is more relaxed and you actually get to come hang out with us for a night.”

Throughout the week, Sigma Kappa will be hosting an event every day. While Kiss the Cook will be their largest event of the week, Sigma Kappa will be hosting smaller events like giving away reusable grocery bags in multiple locations on campus to help the environment. Surrusco said she is excited for the week to start and see the difference all the fundraising can make.

“It’s exciting to see research come along and make a difference in each one of our philanthropies,” Surrusco said. “I’m excited for all the good food, awesome causes, and just getting to see everyone. It is going to be a great week.”