Student Association to host #NoShameCampaign

Student Association speaker Christine Wang swears in sophomore nursing major Matthew Pontious and junior finance major Ryan Berg as new SA senators.

By Jessie Kern

DeKALB — The Student Association will host Family Matters, an event that will focus on the discussion of mental health issues and their cultural implications, as part of their No Shame Campaign.

The No Shame Campaign, which was started by former SA President Nathan Lupstein in 2015, is an SA initiative that works to destigmatize mental health issues. SA officials pushed the campaign to regain speed on campus this semester with a Sept. 14 launch event.

Family Matters will be held at 7:14 p.m. Monday in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room.

“This is a huge is issue,” said Christine Wang, SA Senate speaker during a Sunday meeting.

“As a female minority myself who also suffers from mental illness, it’s a discussion that needs to happen.”

Aside from Wang’s announcement, the director of SA Public Affairs said the department is working on marketing the SA as a resource for students. Jack Barth, SA director of Public Affairs, said he met with Jill Zambito, Executive and Judicial Branch Advisor, to help spread awareness about the organization.

SA officials released a statement Friday to reemphasize that the SA is for the students.

“We released a press statement to help [Wang with] kind of just reminding the students here on campus that the SA is here for them if they need us, that we represent them, [and] for any concerns, they may have to reach out to us,” Barth said.

The statement, which was released on the group’s Facebook page, acknowledged the diversity on campus and the need for inclusivity.

“We are here for you and encourage the chances you may have to speak with us regarding anything of concern,” according to the statement.

SA Senators approved junior finance major Ryan Berg and sophomore nursing major Matthew Pontious as senators-at-large.