Pass/Fail: Memes / Parade route

By Maddie Steen

Pass: Students bring memes to campus

The students of NIU are being seriously creative with the things they’re coming up with to occupy time. Creating random events has become the goofy new trend on Facebook that is taking over the internet whether the events are real or not. Even more specifically, many of the events revolve around Spongebob and Naruto.

Shout out to Gabriel Garcia and Ping Fah for bringing meme culture to our campus and entertaining everyone. Sept. 26 was the day set to yell “I’m ugly and I’m proud” at the Holmes Student Center. Last week students were urged to draw chalk Doodle Bobs on campus, and I must admit I did see one by Davis Hall. Sadly, I didn’t take a picture and tag #MeeHoyMeeNIU, but I still got a great laugh.

Rain or shine, Tuesday is the day that 53 people have decided to Naruto “run all day, everywhere,” according to the Facebook page. Over 300 people are interested in the event, so it’s clear I’m not the only one getting a kick out of this stuff.

Please don’t let these type of things die. One day, our generation will be able to say 7,000 people were ready to sneak into Southern Illinois and steal all their cows.

Fail: Parade route should go through downtown

Forty campus and community organizations paraded through campus Thursday when they should have been parading through downtown. The downtown community supports students by drawing on windows, hanging posters and the Marathon Gas, 218 W. Lincoln Highway, even updates their sign all of the time supporting the Huskies.

I seriously doubt that if the parade was routed through the downtown businesses that the crowd wouldn’t be three times bigger. People love parades. There is already an unspoken separation between the town and NIU. If we were to have the parade downtown, maybe it could count as another piece of glue bonding us together.