Men’s soccer splits the weekend at NIU Adidas Invitational

Junior midfielder Logan Hatter dribbles the ball against the Stetson defense Friday. Hatter scored the game-winning goal in double-overtime to give the Huskies the 2-1 win.

By Mateo Avila

Soccer fans in DeKalb got to see another overtime game as the Huskies defeated the Stetson University Hatters on a game-winning goal from redshirt sophomore midfielder Logan Hatter.

The men’s soccer team hosted the NIU Adidas Invitational at the Soccer and Track & Field Complex in DeKalb Friday and Sunday. The Huskies (2-3, 0-0 Mid-American Conference) faced two teams in Stetson and the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros, splitting the two games.

Friday – Stetson

A game-winning goal from Hatter at the 101:35 mark gave the Huskies the double-overtime win against the Stetson University Hatters Friday.

“It was a surreal moment,” Hatter said. “Once [my teammate] got the ball, I just laid off of him, and I knew [once the ball came to me] that all I was going to do was kick the ball, and it went in.”

The double-overtime goal comes after the Huskies played most of the game trailing by a goal.

Midway through the second half, the teams got physical and had to be separated as NIU was issued two yellow cards: one to the bench for arguing and one to junior midfielder Noe Ochoa for physical altercations.

Shortly afterward, the Hatters got on the board first when redshirt sophomore forward Brock Exline shot the ball past NIU senior goalkeeper Drew Donnally to give the Hatters a 1-0 lead in minute 64.

The teams went scoreless for roughly 20 minutes before freshman forward Alex Welch scored on a free kick to tie the game with just under four minutes remaining in regulation.

Head Coach Ryan Swan complimented his team’s composure and effort to get a goal late in regulation and force overtime.

“After we went down a goal, there was tremendous spirit from the guys [and] a lot of belief to find an equalizer,” Swan said. “I fancy this team just now; when it goes into overtime, we are pretty fit, and I think there is a belief and a desire to find winners.”

Both teams went scoreless in the first overtime period before the Huskies found the back of the Hatters net in the second overtime to take the win.

Sunday – Texas-Rio Grande Valley

The Huskies faced the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Sunday in their second game of the NIU Adidas Invitational but fell by a final score of 2-0.

Swan cited mental mistakes as the main reason for the loss.

“The performance was okay for 70 minutes, but we mentally shut off in a couple of different areas, and it obviously cost us a game against a good team,” Swan said. “I think we are [in every game] that if you make mistakes, you’re going to get punished and that’s what happened to us today.”

The Huskies and Vaqueros played a scoreless first half with NIU being the aggressor, leading in shots 7-5 going into halftime.

The game’s opening goal was scored at the 69:22 mark when Vaqueros freshman defender Guillermo Martinez got a ball past Donnally after a scramble for a loose ball off a corner kick.

Swan viewed the opening goal as the turning point of the game.

“I thought the guys were shocked after playing so well and I’m not sure they knew how to respond to [the goal],” Swan said. “We haven’t quite got that belief all the way yet that we can always find ways back into games, and I think that’s just a mentality thing we’re dealing with.”

The Vaqueros doubled their lead after sophomore midfielder Ilias Kosmidis scored at the 74:26 mark to put the Vaqueros up 2-0, which ended up as the final score.

The Huskies had 12 shots and four shots on goal but were unable to get a ball past Vaqueros redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Andy Rios, who finished with four saves.

The Huskies will take the field again 5 p.m. Friday when they take on the University of Nebraska – Omaha Durangos in Orem, Utah.