Softball wins two out of three games

The team surrounds home plate after Senior Kali Kossakowski hit a home run during Saturday’s home game. The Huskies defeated the Bowling Green State University in two out of three games to win the weekend series. 

By Krystal Ward

DeKALB — Softball won its three-game series against the Bowling Green State University Falcons as NIU continued its hot hitting.

The Huskies (16-12, 4-2 Mid-American Conference) took Friday’s game, 10-5. The Falcons won the first matchup on Saturday, 11-5, and NIU won the final game, 7-3.

The Huskies will head to Muncie, Indiana for a doubleheader Tuesday against Ball State University. The first game is noon, and the second game is 2 p.m.

Friday’s game — NIU 10, Falcons 5

The Huskies broke a 5-5 tie in the bottom of the fifth inning after holding a five-run lead through the first three innings.

Senior first baseman Kayti Grable singled to right field and advanced to second base on an error. Bekah Harnish, junior catcher and infielder, and senior middle infielder Kali Kossakowski scored unearned runs.

Harnish finished the game 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI.

“Bekah Harnish was unstoppable,” Sutcliffe said. “She was hitting the ball hard today. If we were playing at home all the time, Harnish would be hitting .800 and be an All-American. Since conference play has started, she’s been on fire.”

Alaynie Woollard, junior catcher and infielder, singled to center field to score Grable.

The Huskies tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning on RBIs from Kossakowski and freshman utilityman Anne Allen.

Kossakowski finished the game 3-for-4 with three runs scored, two RBIs, a walk and her first of three home runs in the series.

Sophomore pitcher Alex Frenz (10-2) picked up the victory, pitching three and 1/3 innings with two strikeouts and giving up one earned run on three hits.

Junior pitcher Tara Thacker pitched the final three and 2/3 innings, giving up two earned runs on four hits with two walks and two strikeouts.

Saturday game one — Falcons 11, Huskies 5

The Falcons jumped on the Huskies early as they scored eight runs through the first three innings.

The Huskies got on the board in the bottom of the third inning when sophomore outfielder Jenny Van Geertry and Kossakowski hit home runs to left field and made it an 8-2 game.

NIU had a short rally in the fifth inning. Harnish doubled to right-center to score Kossakowski and Van Geertry. Grable singled to right field to score Harnish, but that was as close as the Huskies would get.

Kossakowski finished the game 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI.

Harnish went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a run scored.

Saturday Game Two — Huskies 7, Falcons 3

Junior pitcher Emma Ray pitched a solid three innings, giving up two earned runs on three hits.

“We did enough offensively to win all three games,” Sutcliffe said. “Anytime you’re scoring five or more runs you should be winning that game. I’m really happy with our homestand and what we were able to do.”

Thacker (3-7) picked up the victory, pitching the final four innings, giving up one earned run on four hits with two strikeouts and three walks.

Kossakowski went 2-for-2 with three runs scored, two RBIs and a walk.

Sophomore infielder Dominique Greeno went 2-for-3 with a run scored. Lamich also went 2-for-3 with a RBI.

Woollard singled to score Kossakowski in the bottom of the first inning. Greeno singled to center field and advanced to second base on a Falcon error, scoring Woollard.

Kossakowski, Van Geertry and Harnish scored in the bottom of the second inning to make it a 5-0 Huskie lead.

NIU added one more in the bottom of the third inning on a RBI single from sophomore outfielder Katie Lamich.

Kossakowski crushed her third home run of the series in the bottom of the sixth inning.