Activities encourage students to go green

An easy way students can go green is by planting either in their own garden or in a local garden.

By Tatianna Salisbury

As Earth Day approaches, college students are encouraged to volunteer their time and contribute to making a positive change in the world. However, with limited time and a small budget, giving back can seem like a daunting and unappealing way to spend the weekend.

In celebration of Earth Day Saturday, the Student Association is hosting its annual Earth Week, offering a variety of events encouraging students to get involved and give back to their community. Students can “go green” without spending much of it.

Recycling and recreation

Students can celebrate sustainability at the annual Green Bash from 10 to 4 p.m. Friday in the MLK Commons. Hosted by Green Paws Environmental Alliance, Green Bash invites students to get out of their dorms and celebrate Earth Day with friends and family. They can enjoy food, live music, try their luck at the dunk tank and tie-dye a shirt, all while browsing through the various clubs’ informational tables set around the Commons.

After a day of celebrating and getting informed about all things environmental, students can head out bright and early Saturday morning to volunteer on a number of service projects for the 11th annual NIU Cares Day. The Student Involvement & Leadership Development Department hosts a campus-wide day of community service from 9 a.m. to noon, kicking off at the Chick Evans Field House.

The average college student produces about 640 pounds of solid waste each year, according to a study done by Boston College. Over half of that waste is paper alone, so consider submitting that term paper electronically before rushing to the printer.

Nature’s bounty

People can also celebrate Earth Day by enjoying the beautiful, natural landscapes of their communities, while simultaneously supporting local gardens and arboretums. Severson Dells is hosting an Earth Day Hike from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., 8786 Montague Road in Rockford. A guided scenic stroll through the gardens is a great, relaxing way to celebrate the earth.

Hikes can get tiring, so packing a reusable water bottle instead of a disposable one is a small choice that makes a big difference. Not only is a reusable bottle easy on the environment, but it’s also cheaper than buying cases of water week after week.

Spring cleaning

For students who want to give back but not leave the comfort of their dorm room, there are some fun and creative ways to celebrate in an eco-friendly manner. They can spend their Saturday morning doing some spring cleaning, going through closets and dressers for clothing to donate. Giving away gently worn, in-season clothing to a local homeless shelter such as Hope Haven, 1145 Rushmoore Drive in DeKalb, is a simple and rewarding way to give back to the community.