Senators nominate Wang for second term as SA Speaker

By Morgan Fink

DeKALB — Student Association Senate Speaker Christine Wang accepted a nomination for a second term as speaker during a Sunday meeting

Senator Jeremy Watson nominated Wang during the meeting in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room. Other senators agreed with the nomination, and no other senators were nominated for speaker during the meeting.

“I thought she did phenomenally this year as speaker,” Watson said. “She deserves the position again, and it is pretty unanimous that everyone else in the Senate agrees.”

According to the Student Association Bylaws, after a one year term, the speaker must elect a speaker and only those properly nominated may take part in the speaker election. Nominated candidates must be present during the time of nominations.

“I am honored that the Senate thinks I am qualified to serve one more year,” Wang said. “Since it was a unanimous nomination, I am happy with the results.”

Elections for speaker of the Senate will be held during the next meeting 5 p.m. Sunday in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room.

SA approves supplemental funding to Deaf Pride

A total of $1,177 was approved for funding toward the Deaf Pride organization.

Deaf Pride is an organization that is dedicated to bridging the gap between hearing and deaf communities.

Members submitted a request for supplemental funding for upcoming events this month. They requested $1,840 from the SA Senate, but due to budget cuts, senators lowered the amount.

The SA Senate supplemental funding budget was cut in half this semester. Instead of the $15,000 allocated for the budget last semester, they were reduced to $7,500.

Supplemental funding is money set aside for SA-recognized student organizations on a first come, first serve basis in cases of emergencies. During this semester, supplemental funding was given to Mock Trial for traveling to competitions and Ice Hockey for bus travel to tournaments.