Corporate fashion to flourish in spring

By Tatianna Salisbury

DeKALB —  The Fashion Industries Organization invites students to experience an event unlike any other on campus this semester with their Corporate Catwalk Spring Fashion Show 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

This year, the fashion show will feature professional outfits for both men and women, all designed by students and comprised of pieces from Kohl’s, 2070 Sycamore Road. The lineup incorporates a bright color palette, fun textures and diverse styles for all body types, according to the event window preview in Wirtz Hall.

“This will be my second year [with the show],” said Meghan Laude, junior fashion merchandising major. “This year, I’m a stylist, so I’ll be behind the scenes, [but] I’m really excited about it [because] there are four models whose outfits I picked out, so they’re representing me with their looks.”

MaryAnn Lorenz, clinical assistant professor of fashion merchandising, said she is very proud of the hard work her students have put in to prepare for the event.

“We want to showcase our program [because] many people don’t know that we exist,” Lorenz said.

FIO designed the show around the concept of professionalism in the workplace, recognizing that the topic is overlooked in high school curricula and underrepresented in college courses.

Lorenz said FIO’s goal is to recognize the need to educate students about the importance of professionalism and to aim to expose it as being much more than blazers and button-ups.

“Many young adults enter the workforce without a clue [about] how to prepare or exist in a professional workplace,” Lorenz said.

The fashion show features trendy outfits that can be put together without breaking the bank. Lorenz said FIO prides their show not only on quality but also affordability.

Admittance is free and each person will receive a raffle ticket with their program. At the end of the night, prizes such as gift certificates to Ollie’s, 2290 Oakland Drive, and Eggsclusive, 265 W. Peace Road, will be raffled off. There will also be vouchers for spray tanning and items from Kohl’s given away.

Lorenz said she is extremely grateful for the Fashion Merchandising Department’s partnership with the Kohl’s Corporation, as it allows them to put on a show every year. Kohl’s donated all funds to the event, which the FIO stylists use to design the looks featured in the fashion show.