Greek life sings for unity

Check out the Greek Idol event to hear students from Greek life sing and compete against one another for a good cause.

By Hayden Perkins

DeKALB — Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. and The Brothers and Sisters of Silver and Wine will host the third-annual Greek Idol, a singing event similar to “American Idol.” The event will be held 7 p.m. Friday in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium. At the event, students in fraternities and sororities will have the opportunity to sing three songs of their choosing in front of the judges and other students. The grand prize for the winner will be a $200 scholarship.

The event was put in place to create unity across NIU’s Greek Organizations by way of friendly competition and the love of music and performance while also giving students the opportunity to represent their brothers and sisters, according to the event’s Facebook page.

The proceeds of the event will be going to the Children’s Learning Center, 905 S. Fourth street, as a part of the Crowd Favorite campaign. The Children’s Learning Center provides educational programs and activities for children between 6 weeks old and 12 years old, according to their website. In addition to supporting a good cause, donating also increases the chances of a competitor to move forward in the competition.